Monday, November 12, 2007

Saawari-yo-yo


So half an hour into the movie Ranbir Raj is playing with his yo-yo and Sakina runs into him and asks him for forgiveness for her stupidity, to which Ranbir says 'You cannot play with my emotions as if I'm a yo-yo' (or something to that effect). That line is stuck in my head, and I feel like telling the same to SLB - You cannot play with the could-have been careers of two new and wannabe actors, with the first time money and interest shown by Sony Pictures in Bollywood industry, with the time and money spent by numerous cinema-goers on your whimsical jamboree as if we are a yo-yo.

What could have been a beautiful tragical tale of love lost turns into an over indulgent and opulent farce. Right from the frame one of the movie, people are reminded of SLB's lofty ambitions as he proudly proclaims that this movie is based on Fyodor Dostoevsky's short story - White Nights. Although he does say so, fifteen minutes into the movie you realise that there is something majorly flawed with this movie. Maybe it's the director's overindulgence with the sets. Maybe it's the color blue all throughout the movie. Maybe its the dark tone of the movie - why was the entire movie shot in a studio, and why not in the bright natural light outside? Maybe it's the atrocious, kiddish, out of context dance steps (trust me, it looked like some child was doing action songs - I am a teapot tall and stout here is my handle here is my spout). Maybe it's the fact that you cannot understand which period this movie is based in. Maybe it's the fact that it just does not have its heart in its place. Maybe that's it, I think. A heartless movie, without any emotions it is.

The only scene which evoked any kind of emotion (other than plain bored) from the collective movie hall was one where Ranbir Kapoor exposes - his ass. The girls were simply giggling and the guys collectively exhaling, in shock, in surprise, in awe, and in a way which said - we didn't know this. Probably that is the only reason why this movie will ever be remembered - the first time that a titillating song was picturised with the male actor doing the pelvic thrusts and throwing in the towel.

As I left the movie, the only things that remained with me was the buoyance of Rani - the Queen of hearts through the movie. And I just could not stop laughing at the most pretentious dialogue I had ever heard in my life - something about how life is like a boxing ring, and how you have to box out the sadness from your life. And again, I just could not figure out the purpose of Ranbir's ass in the movie?

No comments: